In conjunction with the 2015 League’s City Managers Department conference in San Francisco, CCMF and Cal-ICMA partnered to conduct an “Encore Opportunities” workshop for senior managers now considering a transition into their next life phase. The workshop attracted 45 local government managers who explored their hopes and dreams for a fulfilling encore as well as specific opportunities in consulting, teaching, interim management, and non-profit work.
The workshop featured a presentation by Craig Rapp entitled “Discovering Your Passions/Giving Away Your Gifts” followed by a panel of encore managers and then four break-out sessions on specific opportunities.
At the workshop, Cal-ICMA released three “how-to” papers. The papers are aimed at assisting local government managers who are retiring from full-time careers and wish to explore encore careers.
The three papers include:
- “So, You Want To Be an Interim Manager?”
- “So, You Want To Be a Consultant?”
- “So, You Want To Be a University Professor?”
All three papers were written with input from a variety of encore managers who shared lessons learned from their experiences.
The papers are now posted on the Cal-ICMA website. To access the papers, go to www.cal-icma.org, click on “Senior Manager/Encore Manager Program” and then “Resources.”
On the same webpage, the Cal-ICMA Encore Committee offers other resources for members approaching their next life phase. These resources consist of:
- A full resource list of helpful books, articles and websites
- “Different Journey” stories written by encore managers who offer tips for one’s next life phase
- Profiles of peer coaches who volunteer to advise those transitioning into their encores